I have seen a lot as a ref that has made me cringe or feel bad when one kids hurts another kid and it’s “fine” under the rules. I don’t believe this is necessary or good at encouraging kids to use proper Jiu Jitsu techniques.
So starting at this Mind Body Soul we are going to be making a rule that there is no direct pressure allowed on the wind pipe for children under 16. (exceptions will likely be made for Orange Belts and higher). These include but are not limited too:
- Amassa Pao Choke when Standing in the Guard (2 Knees on floor will be acceptable)
- Forearm on the throat from Mount, Side Mount or standing in the Guard
- Forearm on the throat while choking from Rear Mount with or without the Gi
- Head scissor regardless of pressure on the windpipe
- Same applies for fists, wrists, shins etc on the throat.
We have made a short video going over some of the chokes in question which you can see here:
If you have any questions, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org . It is much better to clear this up before hand instead of seeing if you can get away with it.
Lots of warnings will be made at this weekends event. I am sure with some this will be an unpopular decision but I do believe this will make for a more enjoyable tournament as well as encourage kids to learn how to do a better choke.
Looking forward to seeing you all this weekend.